LAUREL WOODS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC DEPARTMENT
COURSE: Elementary Band & Strings Grades 3, 4, 5
INSTRUCTOR: Steve Whiddon, email@example.com, 410-880-5960
The Laurel Woods Elementary School Band and Strings Program provides a performance-based curriculum for advanced level learners, focusing on the development of expressive and artistic musical experiences through student driven work. It is important to note that we will not merely be playing instruments in this course, but rather learning the language of music through performance. As such, a significant portion of your work in this course will be devoted to refining your performance skills, increasing your ability to read new music at sight, and exploring what it means to be an all-encompassing musician.
Required After School Performances
- Instrument and related supplies (Detailed on the “Required Supplies” sheet)
- Method Book (the specific book you need depends on your instrument and level and is specified on the “Required Supplies” sheet)
- Pencil (just keep one in your case or folder)
- Folder and any sheet music (provided)
- Metronome (optional)
- Tuner (optional)
Refer to HCPSS Policy 8090 Non School Hour Curricular Programs)
- Winter Concert- December 19th, 2019, 7:00pm @ Reservoir High School (Intermediate Strings, Advanced Strings, and 5th Gr. Band only)
- Winter “In-formance”- January 16, 2020, 7:00pm @ Laurel Woods Cafeteria (Beginning Strings and 4th Gr. Band only)
- Spring Concert- May 27th, 2020, 7:00pm @ Reservoir High School
Depending on the ensemble in which you are participating and needs that may arise throughout the school year, there may be additional performances throughout the year.
Grading categories from the HCPSS Music Grading Standards are weighted as follows:
|HCPSS Music Grading Standards
|Mus s1: Creativity & Composition
Develops and applies strategies to generate and express a variety of musical ideas.
|Mus s2: Musicianship
Uses best practices and experiences to inform and develop an authentic voice.
|Mus s3: Applied Skills & Technical Development
Demonstrates skills and strategies appropriate to music-making
|Mus s4: Procedures & Practices
Demonstrates appropriate musical practices in the classroom or rehearsal environment. Represented in Learning Behaviors.
|Mus s5: Reflection
Communicates an understanding of concepts and strategies through the evaluation of music.